Ancient waters, modern spa

Apr 21 2014, 20:55 IST
Comments 0
The tradition of bathing in the thermal waters of UNESCO World Heritage city of Bath goes back to thousands of years. The tradition of bathing in the thermal waters of UNESCO World Heritage city of Bath goes back to thousands of years.
SummaryThermae Bath Spa attracts a staggering number of 250,000 visitors every year from across the world

is equally important, and that is what is most in connection with the spa because it is harnessing the natural thermal waters and it is a relaxing treatment.

Global clientele

Clients come from all over the world, almost 20 per cent are local to Bath. Of the other 80 per cent, half are British. “Our largest foreign market is America and Europe. There are also clients South East Asia and India. The only market we are not popular with are those who are not interested in communal bathing. The Indian market is an emerging market for us,” states Hanna. The clients are 70 per cent female and 30 per cent male. “Men are now beginning to have treatments, I think the general culture in Britain is beginning to change. This year for the first time we have created a package aimed at men,” she adds. The company works very closely with VisitBritain, Visit England and Bath Tourism to attract visitors from across the world.

The spa is visited by a lot of people as a business incentive. For instance if they come to Bath for a conference in the evening they visit the spa. There is also a small boardroom for sales or boardroom meeting. After the meeting they can enjoy the facilities. “Many local businesses buy our vouchers to give as incentives to employees and customers,” mentions Hanna.

From the point of view of growing the business the company is focusing on attracting more people during the week. On a Saturday afternoon there is a long queue. The restaurant on the first floor is housed in one of the 18th century historic buildings. Food is provided just to guests. According to Hanna one of the most popular packages is the Twilight Package which includes bathing in the evening and an evening meal, which is very popular with the business crowd.

Across the road is the Cross Bath which is a standalone separate building. The pool can be used privately. It can be hired exclusively for upto 12 people. Drinks and canapes can also be served on special events. It is an 18th century separate building, underneath which is the Georgian bathing pool and Roman well.

“We do not claim that the waters have medicinal qualities as there is no scientific evidence, but there is a lot of anecdotal evidence from people who come regularly. People with joint aches and

Single Page Format
Ads by Google

More from Travel & Tourism

Reader´s Comments
| Post a Comment
Please Wait while comments are loading...