Apple's new iPhone 5S and 5C and last year's iPhone 5 are alike in many ways.
All three phones have a touch screen measuring 4 inches (10 centimeters) diagonally, with a resolution of 326 pixels per inch. That pixel density is better than Apple's iPads, though not as good as Samsung Electronic Co.'s flagship Galaxy S4. The iPhone 5 and 5S are identical in size and weight, while the 5C is slightly bigger and heavier. The iPhone 5S is identical in price to what the iPhone 5 cost when it was introduced last year, while the 5C is $100 cheaper.
Battery life is comparable. Talk time is boosted on the 5C and 5S, as is Internet use over LTE cellular connections. Video playback and Internet use over Wi-Fi remain the same. Like all previous models, the battery on the new phones can be replaced only by service personnel.
The main differences: The 5S has a fingerprint sensor, a better camera and a faster processor, while the 5C comes in five colors and uses plastic instead of aluminum and glass for its casing.
Here's a closer look at the three phones. The 5S and the 5C go on sale Friday, while the 5 is being discontinued.
- Capacity: 16 gigabyte model for $199, 32 gigabytes for $299 and 64 gigabytes for $399, all with two-year service contract. Without one, it's $649 for 16 gigabytes, $749 for 32 gigabytes and $849 for 64 gigabytes.
- Size: height: 4.87 inches; width: 2.31 inches; depth: 0.30 inch (123.8 by 58.6 by 7.6 millimeters)
- Weight: 3.95 ounces (112 grams)
- Display: 4-inch (diagonal) with a resolution of 1136 by 640 pixels at 326 pixels per inch.
- Cameras: Back camera is 8 megapixels, with individual pixels at 1.5 microns and a maximum aperture of f/2.2. Front camera is 1.2 megapixels, with individual pixels at 1.9 microns.
- Video recording: high-definition (1080p - comparable to the resolution of a 40-inch flat panel TV) up to 30 frames per second with audio. Slow-motion mode records at 120 frames per second, which makes video appear slower when spaced out at 30 frames per second.
- Battery life: talk time is up to 10 hours on 3G. Internet works for up to 10 hours on LTE and up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi. Up to 10 hours of video playback. Battery can be replaced by service personnel only.
- Color options: Silver, gold, gray
- Release date: Sept.