BSE Sensex today fell for the fourth straight day by losing nearly 62 points in early trade due to sustained selling by funds amid a weak trend in other Asian markets.
The 30-share barometer fell by 61.53 points, or 0.31 per cent, to 19,484.25. The index had lost nearly 670 points in the previous three sessions.
Stocks of realty, capital goods, consumer durables, IT and FMCG sectors were major losers, pulling down the benchmark Sensex.
The wide-based National Stock Exchange index, NSE Nifty dipped below 5,900-point mark by falling 20.80 points, or 0.35 per cent, to 5,898.65.
Brokers said sustained selling by funds in the absence of any positive trigger amid a weak trend in the Asian region following overnight losses at the US market after figures showed the trade deficit had widened, mainly dampened the trading sentiment here.
In the Asian region, Hong Kong's Hang Seng index traded lower by 0.93 per cent, Japan's Nikkei Index fell 0.32 per cent, in early trade.
The US Dow Jones Industrial Average ended 0.50 per cent lower in yesterday's trade. Indian stocks to watch - June 5
(Reuters) GLOBAL MARKETS ROUNDUP
* Nifty futures on the Singapore Exchange are 0.45 percent down and the MSCI-Asia Pacific index excluding Japan is 0.68 percent lower.
* Asian shares were steady on Wednesday as investors marked time before key US jobs data later this week amid speculation over when the US Federal Reserve's would begin scaling down its massive stimulus programme.
* US stocks ended lower on Tuesday, resuming their recent decline as investors sold growth-oriented sectors on speculation the Federal Reserve may slow the pace of its economic stimulus.
FACTORS TO WATCH
* Mahindra and Mahindra Ltd, India's biggest sports utility vehicle (SUV) manufacturer, will enter the compact car segment with the launch of its Verito Vibe model. (0830 GMT)
* Indian local search service provider Just Dial Ltd will make stock market debut on Wednesday, after the company raised roughly $165 million in an initial public offering last month. (0230 GMT)
* Bharti Airtel Ltd has called a shareholders' meeting to seek approval for a 5 percent stake sale to Qatar Foundation Endowment
* Reserve Bank of India Governor Duvvuri Subbarao will give the inaugural speech at a conference on banking and finance which will be attended by top bankers.