in Assam, Odisha, Jharkhand and West Bengal; Rs 1,000 crore allocated for eastern states.
* Rs 5,387 crore to be allocated for integrated watershed programme for farmers in 2013-14, an increase from Rs 3,050 crore in the current fiscal.
* Indian Institute of Biotechnology will be set up at Ranchi.
* Average annual agriculture and allied services growth rate estimated at 3.6 per cent in 2012-13 when 250 MT foodgrains was produced
* Rs 27,049 crore allocation to the Agriculture Ministry in 2013-14
* Rs 7 lakh crore target fixed for agri credit for 2013-14 compared to Rs 5.75 lakh crore in the current year.
* Eastern Indian states to get Rs 1,000 crore allocation for improving agricultural production.
* Rs 500 crore allocated for programme on crop diversification
* P. Chidambaram says India is facing many challenges, tags China as the biggest competitor
* Average economic growth rate in 11th Plan period is 8 per cent, highest ever in any Plan period
* Job of FM is to find the resources to fund the efforts to bring minorities, the poor and others left behind in the race to make India to wealthier and a more equitable country.
* Current year's economic growth rate will be below India's potential growth rate of 8 per cent
* Economic space constraints due to high fiscal deficit, lower savings and investment and tight monetary policy
* Current account deficit continues to be high due to excessive dependence on oil, coal and gold imports and slowdown in exports
* India does not have choice between welcoming and spurning foreign investment; it is an imperative
* Battle against inflation must be fought at all fronts
* Faced with huge fiscal deficit, I have no choice but to rationalise expenditure
* We have brought down headline WPI inflation to 7 per cent and core inflation to 4.2 per cent. Food inflation is worrying
* Plan expenditure in 12th Five Year Plan revised to Rs 14,30,825 crore or 96 per cent of budgeted expenditure.
* Budget expenditure is Rs 16,65,297 crore and Plan expenditure Rs 5,55, 322 crore:
* The revised expenditure target is Rs 14,30,825 crore or 96 per cent of Budget estimate for this fiscal. In 2013-14, the budget estimate is Rs 16,65,297 crore.
* One overarching goal to provide education and skills to youth for securing jobs in the 2013-14, says FM.
* FM allocates Rs 41,561 crore for SC sub-plan; Rs 24,598 crore for tribal sub plan.
* Additional sum of Rs 200