- IPL probe: Cloud over Rajasthan Royals, Chennai Super KingsArvind Kejriwal does not step back even after Najeeb Jung lays down law on controversyN. Srinivasan's Gurunath Meiyappan was a Chennai Super Kings team official, says IPL probeTelangana a 'money bill', unlikely to be tabled in Rajya Sabha
In his letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh pressing for the gold hunt in Unnao last year, Union minister Charan Das Mahant argued that finding the treasure would pull corporates away from the BJP's PM candidate Narendra Modi to the Congress, and ensure double-digit growth for India.
“Shift in attitude of corporate world from the present blatant pro-Narendra Modi towards the Congress”, “stronger rupee”, “double digit growth” and “lower current account deficit” were among the “likely impacts” of finding the gold, the MoS for agriculture wrote to Singh on October 8, 2013.
Before writing to the PM, Mahant had also written to Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi, Finance Minister P Chidambaram and Reserve Bank of India Governor Raghuram Rajan.
In his letter to Singh, accessed by The Indian Express through RTI, Mahant sought to draw the PM’s “urgent attention” to what he said would be a “game changing scenario” for the economy. He assured Singh that he had visited Unnao twice along with “His Holiness” Shobhan Sarkar, the religious guru who allegedly “dreamt” about the buried gold in Daundiya Khera village.
The PMO forwarded the letter to the secretary of the Ministry of Culture. Excavation at the village began on October 18, and was stopped on November 2 without any success.
According to information provided by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), a budget of Rs 4 lakh had been allocated for the project, Rs 2.78 lakh of which was spent during the 16-day dig.
Mahant ended his letter to the PM saying: “I earnestly request you kindly to direct the ASI to start excavation work before October 13, 2013 as per request of Shri Shobhan Sarkar and also kindly convene a high level meeting of Department of Economic Affairs (DEA), Ministry of Finance, Reserve Bank of India, Ministry of Culture and Ministry of Mines to chalk out a comprehensive action plan for the safe and secured recovery of the Golden treasure with full security measures for the benefit of the nation at the earliest.”
Sharmila Mary Joseph K, director in the PMO, forwarded the letter on October 15, 2013 to the secretary, Ministry of Mines, for comments, and asked “whether any excavation is planned of the aforementioned site, and if so, when”.
Along with his one-page letter, Mahant enclosed a three-page note, claiming he was in possession of the full facts. In the section ‘The Likely Impact’, Mahant said,