As summers increases out dependence on water, it also makes us more prone to water-borne infections such as typhoid, cholera, hepatitis and diarrhoea. Here are the tips for clean drinking water:
1. Water must be treated to avoid any water-borne infections.
2. When on the move, purified mineral water bottle is always better than regular tap water.
3. It is a good idea to sanitise storage tanks routinely with bleaching powder
4. Water must be stored in PET bottles as chemicals from cheaper plastic like PVC can leach harmful constituents into the water. However, PET bottles require periodic replacement because they can be scratched and they become deformed at higher temperatures
5. Do not reuse packaged water bottles for storing water
- Ishi Khosla
(the author is a former senior nutritionist at Escorts. She heads the Centre of Dietary Counselling and also runs a health food store)