More than 15 people sustained burn injuries when a fire broke out at a camp located in Sector-11 in the Kumbh Mela area on Friday. The condition of at least two women was reported to be serious. Police said the fire was caused by a leaking gas cylinder.
Late in the night PTI reported that the number of injured persons had gone up to 19.
According to police, the incident too place around 6.30 pm in the camp of Mahant Kaushal Kishore Das. The fire spread very quickly from one tent to the other and nearly 10 small tents, in which the kalpvasis were supposed to stay, were gutted.
Senior Superintendent of Police (Kumbh), RKS Rathore, said, “The camp was meant for kalpvasis, who have begun arriving as the month for kalpvas is about to begin. One of them was preparing meal on a gas cylinder in the evening, from where the fire spread.”
Following information, at least four fire tenders were rushed to the site. The fire was brought under control in a short time. However, by then at least 10 small tents were gutted. Also, more than a dozen people, living in those tents sustained burn injuries, as the fire spread quickly and they could not get out of their tents in time.
The serious patients, including two women, have been admitted to Swaroop Rani Nehru Hospital. “Some of them, who had sustained minor injuries were also admitted to the central hospital in the Mela area,” said Rathore.
The SSP added that the fire could have spread to other camps had the fire service not reached quickly. “It is a densely populated and compact sector. But the fire service responded quickly,” he said.
Rathore further added that more efforts would be made to make people aware about the dos and the don’ts to prevent any such mishap.
CM announces relief
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav announced Rs 50,000 for treatment of those seriously injured in the incident. He also directed officials to ensure proper medical care to the injured.