Furious Australia PM says Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash probe resembles 'garden clean-up'

Jul 21 2014, 12:10 IST
Comments 0
SummaryAustralia PM voiced deep concern that Russian-backed rebels remained in control of the crash site of Malaysia Airlines MH17...

Australia's prime minister voiced deep concern on Monday that Russian-backed rebels remained in control of the crash site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 jet shot down over Ukraine, saying the site looked more like a "garden clean-up" than a forensic investigation.

At least 27 Australian passengers were among the 298 people aboard Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17, shot down over eastern Ukraine in an attack the West has blamed on separatist rebels armed by Russia.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott, speaking on a breakfast radio show, said he had spoken "overnight" to Russian President Vladimir Putin for the first time about the disaster, amid mounting horror over the treatment of victims' remains.

"He said all the right things and now we need him to be as good as his word," Abbott told 2GB radio, declining to comment in detail about his discussion with Putin.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Sunday demanded Moscow take responsibility for the actions of pro-Russian rebels whom Washington suspects of downing the jet with a missile. He expressed disgust at their "grotesque" mishandling of the bodies.

Moscow denies any involvement in the disaster and has blamed the Ukrainian military.

Television images of the rebel-controlled crash scene, where the remains of victims had lain decomposing in fields among their personal belongings, have turned initial shock and sorrow after Thursday's disaster into anger. The bodies had been removed from much of the crash site by Sunday, with many placed in refrigerated train wagons.

"Given the almost certain culpability of the Russian-backed rebels in the downing of the aircraft, having those people in control of the site is a little like leaving criminals in control of a crime scene," Abbott later told reporters.

AUSTRALIA PUSHES FOR UN RESOLUTION

A 45-strong Australian investigation team was either in or heading to Kiev, but had so far been unable to travel to the site despite some improvement in access.

"There's still a hell of a long way to go before anyone could be satisfied with the way that site is being treated," Abbott said. "It's more like a garden clean-up than a forensic investigation. This is completely unacceptable."

Heading the Australian group is retired Navy officer Angus Houston, who had been leading the search for Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 which disappeared in March and is believed to have crashed off the west Australian coast. A C17 military transport aircraft is also on standby to fly to Ukraine.

Abbott, who has been the most outspoken leader

Single Page Format
Ads by Google
Reader´s Comments
| Post a Comment
Please Wait while comments are loading...