Microsoft Corp is likely to appoint its cloud-computing head, Satya Nadella, a 22-year company veteran, as its next chief executive as the board concludes a five-month search for a tech-savvy heavy-hitter to lead the world's largest software company.
Here are the six things you want to know about Satya Nadella:
* Satya Nadella is a rising star in Microsoft. He joined the tech giant in 1992.
* Satya Nadella and his team deliver the “Cloud OS”, Microsoft’s next generation backend platform. The Cloud OS platform not only powers all of Microsoft’s Internet scale cloud services (including O365, Bing, SkyDrive, Xbox Live, Skype and Dynamics) but also fuels global enterprises around the world to meet their most challenging and mission-critical computing needs. Today, businesses everywhere depend on the products that make up the Cloud OS, including Windows Azure, Windows Server, SQL Server, Visual Studio and System Center.
* The appointment of the Satya Nadella as Microsoft CEO would make him the most powerful Indian-born tech executive in the world and put him alongside PepsiCo Inc's chief, Indra Nooyi, as the leader of a well-known, large-cap U.S. Corporation.
* Nadella, if he emerges as the chosen one, would be only the third CEO in Microsoft's 38-year history after Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer.
* Born in 1967 and educated in India and the United States, Nadella's tech career started at internet software pioneer Sun Microsystems. He joined Microsoft in 1992 and quickly climbed the corporate ladder with leading roles in the Office and Bing search-engine teams.
* Satya Nadella is a native of Hyderabad. Nadella earned a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from Mangalore University, a master's degree in computer science from the University of Wisconsin and a master's degree in business administration from the University of Chicago.