Pak denies cross-LoC attack; claims 'ground verification' done
From Rezaul H Laskar
Islamabad, Jan 9 (PTI)
Pakistani military on Wednesday rejected India's contention that its troops had attacked an Indian patrol and killed two soldiers, claiming that it had carried out ground verification and found nothing of this sort happened.
The Pakistani side conveyed this during a phone conversation between the Directors General of Military Operations (DGMOs) of the two sides.
A Pakistani military official, who did not want to be named, said Pakistan's DGMO Maj Gen Ashfaq Nadeem talked to his Indian counterpart Lt Gen Vinod Bhatia on a hotline and rejected the Indian Army's allegations of cross-LoC firing by Pakistani troops and killing any Indian soldier.
The Indian authorities were informed that Pakistan has carried out ground verification and checked and found nothing of this sort happened as is being alleged by India, the military official said.
It is mere propaganda by the Indian Army, the official claimed.
The Pakistani military had yesterday also rejected the Indian Army's contention that Pakistani troops had killed two Indian soldiers after crossing the Line of Control, saying the accusation was aimed at diverting attention from another incident over the weekend.
The Indian Defence Ministry described the killing of the two soldiers by Pakistani forces as a provocative action and said New Delhi would take up the issue with Islamabad.
Pakistani soldiers crossed into Indian territory in Poonch sector of Jammu and Kashmir and ambushed an Indian patrol killing two soldiers, one of whom was decapitated. Two more soldiers were injured in the attack.
Earlier on Monday, Pakistan's Foreign Office had called in the Indian Deputy High Commissioner to protest over what it described as an unprovoked Indian attack on one of its military posts along the LoC on Sunday that resulted in the death of a Pakistani soldier and injuries to another.
India and Pakistan put in place a ceasefire along the LoC in late 2003.
The truce has, by and large, held for the past nine years though there was a spurt in violations during 2012.
The two latest incidents were among the rare ceasefire violations in which lives were lost.