Weeks after the intelligence agencies and the Special Cell of Delhi Police claimed in their report that there was no threat to MLA Bharat Singh’s life, he reportedly received another threat call on Tuesday while he was in Delhi Assembly.
Police have now sought permission under Section 155 CrPC to investigate the case and send teams to Haryana for investigation. A team has been formed to trace the caller, who made the call from a PCO in Bahadurgarh, Haryana.
Singh was recuperating at his Najafgarh home for the past six months after he was shot thrice outside his office in Dichao Kalan village of Najafgarh on June 2. Five armed men had opened fire at Singh, who received three bullets; his cousin Dharampal also suffered bullet injuries.
Investigating officials said Singh claimed he had not been out of his home in the past six months. Tuesday was his first time in the Delhi Assembly since the attack, police said.
During the proceeding of the House, he reportedly received a call from an unknown number. The caller threatened to murder him and “finish the incomplete business”.
“The caller told Singh that the job to murder him remained unfinished last time. They would finish him now. After that Singh called the PCR officials, who met him at Vidhan Sabha. After this the local police was also called. As the incident happened in Delhi Assembly, the case was reported at Civil Lines police station,” a police officer said.
Singh said he was worried for his life and did not trust police. “I have written to the commissioner and all the ministers, but, till date, I have not got any security. I had not stepped out of my house in the past few months. I am not aware of the investigations in the case,” he said.
On June 3, a day after Singh was shot at, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit met then Police Commissioner B K Gupta and requested him to provide adequate security to city MLAs.
“After Singh demanded security from the Delhi Police, a threat assessment was conducted recently by the local police, IB and the Special Cell. Last month, the assessment, which had been finalised, said there was no threat to him. Based on this, he was denied security. A fresh assessment will now be made,” the officer said.