RTI activist Chandra Mohan Sharma who faked death arrested in Bangalore

Aug 29 2014, 08:09 IST
Comments 0
SummarySharma was detained on August 26 from Honda factory in Bangalore by Noida Police.

He faked his own death to start a new life with another woman. Presumed dead by his wife and children after his car went up in flames on May 1 in Greater Noida, RTI activist Chandra Mohan Sharma, all this while, was living in Bangalore with another woman, police said. He has been arrested and being questioned.

Police said Sharma, during interrogation, claimed that the body found charred beyond recognition in his car was that of a mentally challenged beggar, whom he saw outside a mall in Greater Noida. Sharma claimed he, helped by a relative of the woman, strangled him to death, placed the body in the driver’s seat and then set the car afire.

Sharma, who had changed his physical appearance by shaving off his hair, was detained on August 26 from Honda factory in Bangalore by Noida Police, who subsequently also detained the woman he was living with from their house in Bangalore.

“The woman he was living with in Bangalore used to live close to his house in Greater Noida. She too has been brought back, though not arrested. Incidentally, on June 7, roughly a month after Sharma’s car went up in flames, an FIR had been registered over her disappearance following a complaint by her family, who, though suspicious that she could have run away with Sharma, did not name him in their complaint as he was presumed dead,” a police officer said.

Police said Sharma had married the woman a year ago in a temple and that he fell out with his wife because of his relationship with the woman, who is in her mid-twenties. “He wanted to start a new life,” the officer said.

According to Dr Preetinder Singh, SSP (Gautam Buddh Nagar), Sharma had bought three litres of petrol on April 30 to fake his death. He claimed to have got help from a relative of the woman for executing the crime. Police said the relative in question was yet to be arrested.

“Sharma told police that he along with the relative strangled the beggar with a belt, placed him in the car along with a few of Sharma’s belongings, poured petrol on the car and set it ablaze. The same night, he left for Bangalore, from where he informed the woman that he was alive. He came back on June 7 to take her to Bangalore,” Singh said.

Police first got hints that Sharma could be alive after

Single Page Format
Ads by Google
Reader´s Comments
| Post a Comment
Please Wait while comments are loading...