The Supreme Court on Monday sought a response from the Department of Telecommunication over a PIL seeking complete ban on child pornography on internet. A bench led by Justice B S Chauhan issued a notice to the Telecom department after the government requested it to make DoT a party in the case.
Earlier only Ministry of Information and Technology had been issued a notice on the PIL by lawyer Kamlesh Vaswani.
The government's counsel Tuesday informed the court that regulation of content on internet would come under the domain of DoT and that the ministry had a very limited role in the matter. The bench then added DoT as a party and sought its reply within three weeks.
Meanwhile, there are reports that Internet search giants Google and Microsoft will put in place measures to block such content from their search results. The changes will apparently prevent more than 100,000 search terms from generating results that link to images and videos associated with child sex abuse and trigger a warning that the associated content is illegal.
"The restrictions, which apply to English-speaking countries, will be expanded to more than 150 languages in the next six months," Google Chairman Eric Schmidt wrote in an article for the Daily Mail on Sunday. He said Google has in the last three months put more than 200 people to work developing new, state-of-the-art technology to tackle the problem.
In June, Google said it had decided to build a database to help others in the coalition to work towards content removal. Microsoft, on the other hand, helped develop the hashing technology which is used by top companies to prevent child pornography.