TripAdvisor has revealed the UNESCO World Heritage sites which are most highly recommended by its traveller community in the world and in India.
The results are based feedbacks from more than 1.1 million travellers collected in partnership with UNESCO.
The Potala Palace in Lhasa is recognised as the most highly recommended site in the world while Fatehpur Sikri in Uttar Pradesh the most highly recommended in India.
World’s most recommended sites
1. Historic Ensemble of the Potala Palace, Lhasa - China
2. Iron bridge Gorge - UK
3. Palace and Park of Fontainebleau - France
4. Historic Centre of Guimaraes - Portugal
5. Masada - Israel
6. Byblos - Lebanon
7. Persepolis - Iran
8. Hwaseong Fortress - Republic of Korea
9. Cilento and Vallo di Diano National Park with the Archeological Sites of Paestum and Velia, and the Certosa di Padula - Italy
10. Meidan Emam, Esfahan - Iran
Most Recommended Sites in India
The following Indian World Heritage sites are those most recommended, according to TripAdvisor travellers:
1. Fatehpur Sikri, Uttar Pradesh
2. Konarak Sun Temple, Konarak
3. Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh
4. Taj Mahal, Agra
5. Mahabodhi Temple, Bodh Gaya
6. Hampi, Karnataka
7. Ellora Caves, Aurangabad
8. Ajanta Caves, Aurangabad
9. Kaziranga National Park, Assam
10. Buddhist Monuments at Sanchi, Bhopal
The partnership between TripAdvisor and UNESCO’s World Heritage Centre was launched in October 2009 to raise awareness of and gain travellers’ support to preserve natural and cultural sites inscribed on UNESCO’s World Heritage list.