known for its eclectic stores and galleries. The Mission District, dubbed “the hippest neighborhood in America” by Vanity Fair is a haven for burgeoning artists and stylish “only in San Francisco” designs.
8. Picnics for two: A loaf of bread (sourdough, of course), a jug of wine and thou — along with a blanket and picnic basket — are all that’s needed to enjoy a casual brunch or dinner with a backdrop of a sunset at secluded China Beach or Baker Beach. It’s a short ferry ride to Angel Island, which allows visitors to hike or bike this forest-covered isle offering spectacular views of the city. Another choice in Marin County is Muir Woods with its ancient redwoods, offering a wonderland of trails and secluded spots for lovers.
9. Satiable cravings: San Francisco is a fantasy world for food lovers. Bustling Chinatown serves traditional dim sum (meaning Heart’s Delight); North Beach restaurants offer San Francisco’s own cioppino with interludes of live Italian opera on the side; straight off the boat, Pacific seafood is as fresh as it comes at Fisherman’s Wharf; and formal restaurants with white linen, silver-laden tables and panoramic views present some of the finest dining experiences in the world.
10. Dancing on water: An alternative to the traditional land-lovers dinner is a romantic dinner cruise. Charter companies provide a delectable dinner and night of dancing to live music aboard beautiful yachts sailing past Sausalito, Fisherman’s Wharf, and under the illuminated Golden Gate and Bay Bridges.
11. Bay City sunset: From Coit Tower’s 360° view, or the high-rise aerie of a hotel view lounge, the glowing sun in the west slips into the Pacific between the arches of the Golden Gate Bridge. A spectacular metamorphosis comes with nightfall when the view sparkles with evening lights from the city and stars above.
12. Cable cars at midnight: After a night at the ballet, opera, symphony, theater, or dance club, linger in the night air for a while. Embark upon a moonlit cable car ride back to the hotel with the clanging bells heightening the romantic mood of the evening.