The travel advisory issued by the UK to its citizens to avoid central Delhi has not affected the flow of foreign tourists in the country, Tourism Secretary Parvez Dewan said today.
Fearing large-scale protests following the death of the Delhi gang-rape victim, Delhi Police had announced on December 29 that much of the city's centre would be out of bounds for general public.
Taking a cue from the announcement, the UK advisory has asked its citizens to avoid the city centre until the situation becomes clearer and be careful to avoid any demonstrations, which could turn violent.
"So far there has been no adverse impact on tourism. Since the advisory not a single cancellation of booking has taken place according to tour operators," Dewan said at the Incredible India calender launch event.
"We had an extensive meeting with tour operators and they told us that no one has cancelled their booking yet. So I am sure it is not going to affect the footfalls in the country," he said.
The Tourism Ministry has written to all its 14 offices abroad asking them to explain the situation to people there about the December 16 gang-rape and the protests that followed the incident.
"The offices have been asked to convey the Prime Minister's assurance and explain it in the correct perspective about the situation here so that there is no confusion," he said.
At the same event, the 'Incredible India' calender was launched online by Tourism Minister Chiranjeevi.