Wigan Athletic F.C. stun Manchester City F.C. in FA Cup

Mar 10 2014, 19:16 IST
Comments 0
SummaryFA Cup holders Wigan Athletic F.C. proved Manchester City's nemesis for the second time in less than a year.

FA Cup holders Wigan Athletic F.C. proved Manchester City's nemesis for the second time in less than a year on Sunday with a shock 2-1 quarter-final victory over Manuel Pellegrini's talent-laden side.

Second-tier Wigan, who upset City 1-0 in the final at Wembley last May to secure the Cup for the first time, went ahead through Jordi Gomez and James Perch before holding off a rousing City fightback to set up a semi-final against Arsenal.

They were joined in the last four by Sheffield United and Hull City after the third-tier Blades upset Championship (second tier) side Charlton Athletic 2-0 and Hull beat Premier League rivals Sunderland 3-0 in Sunday's other sixth-round ties.

Arsenal had already booked their place in the last four with a 4-1 win over Everton on Saturday.

City secured the English League Cup last Sunday in what fans hoped would be the first leg of an unprecedented quadruple.

Fourth in the Premier League, and needing to overturn a two-goal deficit at Barcelona in the second leg of their Champions League last-16 tie on Wednesday, City were strong favourites to negotiate the visit of Wigan.

But the Championship side, managed by former City striker and terrace hero Uwe Rosler, executed a perfect game plan and capitalised on a tired City display to go 2-0 up after 46 minutes.

"The only chance we had of doing the same here (beating City again)," Rosler told BT Sport, "was to keep the ball. You have to get the ball down ... It is high risk, but our back five, and the midfield, were very good.

"I talked (to the players) about bravery as well. We had Lady Luck on our side, but overall we are delighted."

City defender Martin Demichelis, under the spotlight after recent poor performances, gave away the penalty that allowed Wigan to take the lead in the 27th minute.

The Argentine bought a dummy from Marc-Antoine Fortune at the byline, tripped the French striker in his desperation to make amends and Gomez stroked home the spot-kick.

City were stunned again two minutes after the break, when James McArthur was given time and space to cross and Perch embarrassed a sleepy Gael Clichy at the far post to bundle over the line from two metres.

It took 63 minutes for the home side to seriously threaten the visitors' goal when substitute striker Edin Dzeko headed against a post.

They made their breakthrough four minutes later.

Dzeko used his aerial strength to meet

Single Page Format
Ads by Google

More from Sports

Reader´s Comments
| Post a Comment
Please Wait while comments are loading...