- Tata Motors sales down 42 pct in December, Nano, Indica, Indigo move 6,537 units, share price downSpiceJet orders 42 Boeing 737 MAX 'fuel efficient' jets worth over $4 bn: SourcesOver 600 flights affected due to worst fog in 8 yearsOnly budget airlines at Mumbai airport's 1A, 1B terminals once T2 takes off
ever built in Asia, while the 244 minor skylights are 140 sq m each.
Work on the terminal, which began in February 2009, was expected to have been completed by September 2013. The shift of a statue of Chhatrapati Shivaji was among the factors that affected the schedule.
The four-floor structure, with zones demarcated for departures and arrivals, came about because Mumbai is short of horizontal space. Airport developers usually go for a pancake-like structure, but in Mumbai the total operational area is only 1,400 acres, compared to the 5,123 acres in Delhi.
Facilities include retail space of 2.26 lakh sq ft and India’s largest public art display, called “Jaye He.” It will have nearly 7,000 artefacts displayed along an art wall 3 km long. It will also have India’s largest airport nursery with 77,000 plants of 80 species.
“It will be a distinctive narrative of India’s diversity,” an official says.
WHAT IT TOOK TO BUILD
* 1,85,000 sq m granite, enough to cover 27 football fields
* 30,000 sq m skylight glass, enough to cover Wimbledon’s Centre Court 6 times
* 4 km L.E.D. lighting for façade, 1½ km shorter than Bandra-Worli Sea Link
* 45,150 sq m façade glazing, enough to wrap Air India HQ twice, with glass to spare
* 3.35 km, 6 lanes, elevated road’s surface can accommodate 277 tennis courts or 1,080 badminton courts
* 18,000 tonnes steel in roof 15,000 tonnes centralised AC
* 47.27 lakh sq ft area
* 40 mn passengers
* Counters: 188 for check-in, 60 for departure immigration, 72 for arrival immigration
* Comfort: 101 toilets, 5000+ cars capacity in parking facility, 10 baggage carousels
* Movement: 44 travelators, 49 escalators, 73 lifts, 25 fixed linked bridges, 52 passenger boarding bridges
* Security: 124 check positions, 2,300 CCTV cameras